Transmit-Transform (TT) is a collaboration between Internews Europe, the Community Media Association and the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust which aims to support community media organisations improve their editorial offer and their financial sustainability.
As part of this project, Internews seeks a consultant to develop a five-year strategy which can guide this sector to realise its potential. This TOR sets out our requirements.
The strategy development process is expected to involve significant consultation with actors in the community media sector. In addition, the consultant will conduct analysis of the wider environment in which community media operates, particularly the threats and opportunities which this strategy should consider. A key partner in this process is the Community Media Association, the UK’s representative body for the community broadcast sector. However, the strategy should ideally expand its scope to non-member local and hyper-local media outlets.
The overarching question which this strategy will address is how best to support, build, network, sustain and advocate for community media so that it finds its proper place within the wider media and information landscape, helping to address deficits in local accountability and challenges to community cohesion before the impact of these issues causes irreparable damage.
The final output is a strategy document which sets out a clear set of objectives for the community media sector against the detailed contextual analysis described above. It will describe the inputs, activities and relationships required to realise those objectives, and a plan for raising the funds needed.
We estimate this at around 30 days work, and invite interested bidders to submit a plan for completion by October 1st 2019. Internews will provide the resources for graphic design and layout.
- Considerable experience leading strategy development processes, preferably involving consultations with a broad range of stakeholders in dispersed locations.
- Considerable knowledge of the UK media landscape, including the key players and current challenges and opportunities.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to devise and manage a consultation process which is inclusive, effective and motivating for those involved.
- The ability to synthesise a range of written and verbal inputs from different sources.
- The ability to turn the needs of partners across the sector into a bold but achievable vision for the sector as a whole.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th April 2019. Applications should include an implementation plan, budget and the consultant’s CV. Please don’t hesitate to contact Rosie Parkyn with any questions in the lead up to submission.