Station Manager – Role Description
Jorvik Radio Limited
About Jorvik Radio Limited
Jorvik Radio is a Community Radio Station granted a 5-year license by Ofcom in November 2019 to broadcast to the city of York and the surrounding towns and villages on the frequency 94.8fm.
The studios are based in a brand new community setting in The Centre at Burnholme which houses an Explore Library, a café open to the general public and a number of other community organisations.
Jorvik Radio broadcasts 24/7, 365 days a year and produces an extensive range of programmes with a high degree of local and original content. Our programmes reflect the diversity and rich culture of our great city.
As a community radio station, we are entirely staffed by volunteers, which includes the management responsible for the company, radio presenters and support people.
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of this post is to provide ‘hands on’ day-to-day station management and oversight for Jorvik Radio’s output. It is a pivotal and key role that will ensure Jorvik Radio broadcasts high quality, professional output as well as maintaining programme continuity.
Initially, this is a voluntary part-time role that would suit an individual with previous experience in radio broadcasting, preferably in some form of oversight capacity. You will need a good understanding of how local radio works.
- Plan, coordinate and manage all, day to day programming and scheduling through Jorvik Radio’s play-out system ‘PlayOut One’.
- Managing presenter availability and managing show cover as and when required
- Management of volunteer presenters and support people involved in the station’s output
- Assisting the board in the acquisition and onboarding of new talent to the station
- Ensure that presenters are conversant with and comply with all the Ofcom compliance requirements and Jorvik Radio presenter guidelines
- Organising and overseeing the training and station familiarization of presenters and support people
- Working with the ‘music selection panel’ and overseeing the upload and de-selection of tracks into the station’s music lists
If you would like to find out more about this role and for an informal discussion, please contact Bill Colman, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org