Recording In Skype

Hello All… I hope all is well…

I could have sworn that it was possible to record skype in Audition, both mic and stereo mix, but when I try to do it on my machine here, with both enabled, i get a message in audition saying Microphone - ff9-5-0044 error device cannot be opened…

Am I doing something wrong, or is the inbuilt souncard on my laptop unable to open two inputs at the same time?

I could settle for just recording the stereo mix, and my voice on another machine,. but the person I am interviewing can’t hear me, unless I disable stereo mix first, then I can’t record her…

I’ve tried this asio4all, but that seems to blow stereo mix out the water, and the stereo input on there is displaying Beyone Logic, whatever that means, so that’s been deleted…

Thanks in advance everybody…

Paul

2 Likes

Hi @PaulNewman

Have you checked the Sound/Recording panel in the Control Panel? Make sure that the sound card you are using and the mic for that card is selected. If you have multiple sound cards enabled on a system, it can also get tricky as only one card can be default for any function.

Perhaps you don’t need to have mic enabled as Stereo Mix should ‘mix’ it all. I’d try using just Stereo Mix and see what happens.

Cheers

Bill

I’ve only tried it once, using a Focusrite External soundcard, but I took an external feed from my mixer output, i’ve not tried it with just an internal soundcard yet. I’ll give it a go tomorrow, as it’s such a useful function.

2 Likes

Hi Paul.

A most fantastically amazing piece of software is Virtual Audio Cable. There’s two variants, one has a really fancy website and isn’t that good and another has a rubbish website and is great. It’s a bit like the question “How do you choose which barber to go to when there are only two in a village?”

It’s https://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm.

The free version has one cable. The best way is to set your skype play device to the virtual audio cable. Then in control panel set the “Listen through” thing to speakers, so you can actually hear what is said. All the audio can then be recorded as any other audio device.

4 Likes

Hi @PaulNewman

Try using CleanFeed.

I’ve not used it myself but it comes as recommended.

Bill

2 Likes

Hello Sam, I actually looked at that, but it went totally over my head, I couldn’t work it out, but yeh thanks for the advice… It was suggested to me as a workround a microphone problem I had, but I couldn’t get a single tune out of it unfortunately…

1 Like

Hello Bill, yes, I am thinking that my aoundcard isn’t upto the job, and only has one input, so I am recording one voice on each machine, and editing them together, not ideal, but it’s the best I can do right now… It’s basically a basic bog standard generic soundcard…

1 Like

Ah, I would have given this a go, but my browser isn’t supported, unfortunately… Thanks Bill…

1 Like

yeh I need a souncard Rob, along with everything else, basically I just need to stick to my limitations I think, I’ll get there oner day, I hope all is well, I promise I will get in touch regarding community reporting when I feel the time is right, as it’s something I want to try and do… All the best yeh…

1 Like