Radio Wanno vacancy – coming soon

When is a job vacancy not a job vacancy, when you can’t advertise it just yet? That may sound odd, but I wanted to catch the November Community Media Association newsletter because the vacancy I’m about to tell you about will drop between this and December’s edition.

So, first, this isn’t a job advert, but I’d like to tell you about the job vacancy that will be advertised. Radio Wanno is the multi-award-winning community prison radio station based in HMP Wandsworth, one of the biggest and busiest prisons in the UK.

We recently won a Gold for Digital/RSL Station of the Year at the Community Radio Awards, and for our work during the pandemic, we were awarded a prestigious Sandford St Martin Award and nominated at the 2021 ARIAS. We are a close-knit team and one of our number is moving on to a new role within the Ministry of Justice - and that means we will have a position to advertise.

Let me tell you about the role where no two days will be the same. Challenging and rewarding, working with our prison-based presenters and producers with a focus on radio, yet contributing to our events space and communications activity too. This work involves radio production at its heart, and writing for a newsletter, scheduling, and helping to programme station output for radio and TV. And that’s just a snippet of what the job involves. All our channels are linked to our communications strategy, reducing reoffending, and rehabilitation culture.

We’ll be looking for some experience in radio production, great at organisation and administration, and with superb IT and communication skills – written and verbal, and ideally, audio editing skills and knowledge, knowing their way around Adobe software - especially Audition.

We’ll be looking for a self-starter, maybe someone who has studied media and or radio at university, or worked as a volunteer in the community radio sector and seeking the next step on the ladder, or with bags of experience and looking for a change.

As I said this isn’t the advert, that’s coming soon - we’ll post it on the Justice jobs website as “Band 4 Events & Media Vocational Instructor” in HMP Wandsworth. Now, I’m not allowed to take CVs or applications – they must go via the Justice website when we advertise, but I can send you a link for when it goes live. Therefore, you can email your interest and I’ll send out the link when the advert is online.

So that’s the “not a job advert” promotion of a job advert that’s coming up very soon. Hmmm. If you’d like a prompt email for when it is live, send me your email address only (no CV or details of who you are because we blind sift all applicants).

Many Thanks - kevin.field@justice.gov.uk.

1 Like