Nicky Morgan appointed as Secretary of State

Nicky Morgan, Conservative MP for Loughborough, has been appointed as the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) replacing Jeremy Wright.

Morgan has been an MP since 2010 and has some previous experience of the third sector, having held responsibility for charity tax policy as economic secretary to the Treasury in 2013. She was education secretary between 2014 and 2016.

Morgan used Twitter to say that it was a privilege to take on this role:

An enormous privilege to take on this fabulous role - although I’m sad to move on from @CommonsTreasury which I have absolutely loved chairing. Thank you to my fellow Select Committee members & committee staff
Nicky Morgan MP (@NickyMorgan01) July 24, 2019

Within the portfolio of DCMS is the Office for Civil Society and the civil society brief is normally held by a junior minister who reports to the culture secretary. We also look forward to a new Minister of State for Broadcasting previously held by Margot James MP.

No announcement has yet been made about the appointment of any other junior Ministers.

Usually, the Prime Minister will announce which junior Ministers have been allocated to each department and it is then up to the Secretary of State to determine which portfolio each of them will hold, which means it can be a number of days before it is clear who the Ministers for Broadcasting and for Civil Society will be.

Anything you want me to lobby her on as I’m in her constituency?

1 Like

Yes, this will be very useful @SamHunt. Many thanks. Will be in touch by email.