Firefox will mute autoplaying media by default starting next month

Some consider that auto-playing audio and video is a scourge of the Internet and Mozilla aims to do its part to help reduce it in the upcoming Firefox 66 release which will automatically mute any auto-playing video unless the user actively clicks the play button.

Muted autoplay will still be allowed. So scripts can set the “muted” attribute on HTMLMediaElement to true, and autoplay will work.

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/02/firefox-66-to-block-automatically-playing-audible-video-and-audio/

1 Like

Whilst I fully agree with this, our local newspaper being a prime candidate for this, it will make it annoying for our web player.

I guess there’s no easy way to overcome this other than making the user click play?

Will the “muted” attribute by default be set or some other way to tell a browser is behaving in this way to stop the auto-play so the user doesn’t have to press stop then play?

2 Likes

I can’t wait. Auto-play is a nightmare. Just poor design and shows a lack of respect for the user. It’s one of the primary reasons I stay away from certain websites. If I want to see a loop of images taken from Google playing against a background of muzac I would watch a screensaver :grin:

1 Like

Not sure @SamHunt.

The article says:

Any playback that happens before the user has interacted with a page via a mouse click, printable key press, or touch event, is deemed to be autoplay and will be blocked if it is potentially audible.

Muted autoplay is still allowed. So script can set the “muted” attribute on HTMLMediaElement to true, and autoplay will work.

If I am answering you correctly, muted can be set to true and the user will be free to click ‘unmute’ to hear the content if they wish.