Diversity in broadcasting questionnaire

I have had an email from Ofcom regarding diversity in broadcasting and their questionnaire.

Since we have 0 employees they aren’t interested. What about the 70-odd volunteers?

I wonder if it’s worth contacting Ofcom and voluntarily submitting to the questionnaire as we have an excellent mix with all parties represented.

It may be a good opportunity to demonstrate to Ofcom the amount of diversity that exists in the community radio sector and really show where community radio excels compared to commercial. A few other suitable stations could also be submitted.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes

This email from Ofcom seems to be going to everyone and likewise were only 1 staff and they weren’t interested or going to part 2. however like all Community Radio Stations we also have volunteers. I wonder if Ofcom didn’t really think this thru or as usual volunteers arent regarded important in the grand scheme of things. Maybe something @billbest @Rob-Watson could shed further light

1 Like

The Ofcom report into Diversity in the Radio Industry identifies that monitoring the workforce criteria, and focuses on stations with twenty employeees or more.

It might be useful to see a copy of the survey to identify its relevence, and the potential for discrimination by not including volunteers. I suspect that Ofcom’s approach is based on minimum requirements for reporting that are set in legislation, but I’d have to look at it more closely to figure it out?

2 Likes