Community Media Association: Community Radio & Awards For All Survey

The Community Media Association is undertaking a mini-survey to see how many community radio stations have applied to Awards For All and if they were successful. It would also be particularly interesting to know if community radio stations are not applying to Awards For All and what are the reasons for that.

1 Like

Easy to do. 2 minutes max. Look forward to seeing the results.

1 Like

hiya when is this open until? I have put an application in but wont hear for about another month.

2 Likes

I’ll run this for a month or so. There’s no real deadline to this survey. Good luck with your application to A4A and please complete the survey in good time.

1 Like

thank you, well will wait until we get a response from them and fill it in as soon as we stop celebrating!

1 Like

Awards for All is a great fund to apply to, and will now support core costs - such as licensing, wages etc - as well as projects.
Here are my tips on getting funding (based on my experiences of rejections and successes over the years)

1. Articulate your social purpose. Why is it you do what you do? Who benefits from this - remember most funders are more interested in the people taking part than the listeners. Talk to your volunteers about what it means to them.
  2. Find out what people need from you. Who else would take part if they could? What do they need to enable them to do this? What changes could you make in your community if you had more resources to do so?
  3. Funding isn’t a hand out, and there is no shame in receiving grants. The majority of funders have a remit to bring about positive changes, and are looking at how best can help them to do this, who they can commission. You need to show how you can help them achieve their goals.
  4. Find the funders who are most suited to your work. Read all their guidance notes in detail and clearly show how your work is in line with theirs. I’ve found Funding Central to be the most useful resource https://www.fundingcentral.org.uk
  5. Get support - talk to your local voluntary service, to other charities and non-profits in your area, to us at the CMA and to anyone you know with experience. Go on training when you can.
  6. Use bold, passionate and honest language when you write your applications. Use phrases like “we will” rather than “we hope to” or “we want to”. Be clear that this work is going to happen, no matter what, and that they can be part of it if they choose to. Lucky them!
  7. Make the strongest application you can, click submit, then move on. Put it in a separate box in your mind, and focus on the next task as in most cases you will have a wait of a couple of months or more. Don’t assume success or failure, or attach too much importance to either.
  8. Give thanks and credit to your funders, and evaluate the impact their support has made, whether they ask you to or not. Let them know how it’s made a difference and what you need next.

What have I missed in this list? It would be great to hear others’ experiences.

3 Likes