CMA Ofcom Meeting 18th October 2017

The Community Media Association met with Ofcom on Thursday 18th October.

Some notes taken at the meeting are available from the link below.

The agenda was as follows:

1. Update from CMA on the Community Media Conference
2. Update from Ofcom on Round 4 licensing
3. Update from Ofcom on SSDAB
4. Ofcom’s Technical Code for Analogue Radio
5. Ofcom’s Diversity Report
6. Compliance Training Workshops

A headline summary of the meeting is as follows:

1. Update from CMA on the Community Media Conference

The 2017 Community Media Conference held in Bristol was a success. Next year’s Conference might be held in Sheffield.

2. Update from Ofcom on Round 4 licensing

Ofcom is working through the licence applications and anticipates that the first few decisions will be released shortly.

3. Update from Ofcom on SSDAB

DCMS is leading on SSDAB and is expected to publish a consultation before the end of this year.

4. Ofcom’s Technical Code for Analogue Radio

The issue of protection factors applied to new community radio stations was raised by the CMA.

5. Ofcom’s Diversity Report

Ofcom will shortly begin work on assessing the diversity of the UK radio industry and will then publish data on diversity in the industry.

6. Compliance Training Workshops

Ofcom is keen to undertake some compliance training workshops for community radio stations in partnership with the CMA

http://www.commedia.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ofcom__CMA_Meeting_181017.pdf

1 Like

l reprised here what I wrote on FaceBook’s The Community Radio People thread, but I’ve deleted it as maybe being a bit too caustic.
But what I woud say is this.
Three officers from the CMA travelled to Riverside House armed with a number of important points for discussion with four relevant Ofcom staff.
Reading the report, I regret that I can find nothing new in the way of an update on CR licence awards or indeed on any of the topics related directly to Community Radio.
Could the CMA please outline where if at all it feels there was a positive outcome - and whether it considers the inevitable cost of the visit was justfied?
Can also ask if what appears to be an inadequate response from Ofcom is ever actively contested?
Thank you

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: CMA Meeting at Ofcom, 22nd November