Care Radio launches to support the UK’s millions of paid and unpaid carers

A group of highly experienced broadcasters, journalists, producers and senior managers have launched a new not-for-profit radio station to serve the UK’s legion of nine million paid and unpaid carers.

Its founders include Chair, Hedley Finn OBE, President of the International Children’s Charity, Radio Lollipop, CEO John Dash, who is the only person to be twice awarded the coveted Fellowship of the Radio Academy, and Content Director, Gary Robinson, who is a former MD of Kerrang! Radio and Downtown Radio. Over fifty other radio professionals are giving their time and skills to get the station set up and established, backed by a team of finance, fundraising, care sector, PR, and technical experts.

“Care Radio’s output will surprise, delight, and support those in the care sector,” explains Gary Robinson. “It will include a mix of great music, interviews, and listener stories".

Dom Chambers, CMA Chair, is presenting Life Stories and says "The wellbeing of people and supporting those with less opportunity are the key drivers for all my work. We live in times that elevate the necessity of this approach. Care Radio is born of these times. It is such a good fit for me and I was delighted to be asked to get involved. Engaging conversations and stories of impact that will inspire I’m looking forward to presenting Life Stories.”

The station has been made possible thanks to what John Dash calls a “staggering” amount of goodwill from the industry. “So much of what is needed to start a radio station is being donated,” he says. “Not only all our broadcasters’, journalists’ and producers’ time, but also our news provision, streaming, app, marketing, website, scheduling, imaging, social media, interactive services, and PR are being provided by supporters who share our vision of giving something back to carers for all they do for us every day".

Launched as a response to the pandemic and the enormous strain carers, the NHS and Social Care staff came under, and continue to work through, Care Radio aims to connect, entertain and support them.

The station can be heard through the Care Radio app, which is available from Apple and Android stores, and can be heard online at www.careradio.org. It will also soon be available on DAB multiplexes around the UK. “We’re looking at developing this project so much further over the next twelve months”, says Hedley Finn, “If you’re interested in getting involved email hello@careradio.org.”